- 09:21 | In the world U.S. right to arm Syrian rebels, says Israeli president
Israeli President Shimon Peres has thrown his weight behind U.S. plans to arm Syrian rebels, shrugging off fears the weapons could be turned on Israel and exacerbate the conflict.
- 09:15 | In the world U.S. says it will buy Russian helicopters for Afghan military
The Pentagon said on Monday it will spend $572 million to buy 30 Russian-built military helicopters that will be used by Afghan security forces.
- 09:03 | In the world Anger in China over attack on students in France
A violent attack on a group of Chinese students in a small town in southwest France has prompted anger and condemnation in China.
- 09:03 | Region 'Standing man' inspires silent demonstration in Turkey
For more than five hours, he appeared to stare at a portrait of Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Turkish state.
- 08:57 | In the world G8 summit to focus on tax, trade and transparency
Monday's meetings in Northern Ireland focused on the conflict in Syria.
- 08:53 | In the world Protests spread throughout Brazil
Tens of thousands of people marched through Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo, on Monday as protests spread over rising public transport prices and the cost of staging the 2014 World Cup.
- 08:47 | Armenia Air temperature will go down
Transitory rains and thunderstorm is possible from time to time after midday in the most of regions on June 18.
- 23:00 | In the world Arms for Syrian rebels won't fall into extremist hands, says William Hague
Foreign secretary says no decision made to arm opposition to President Assad, but insists it can be done in containable way.
Source: The Guardian
- 22:45 | In the world Anger in Southern Egypt over islamist governor
Workers, opposition politicians and activists in the southern city Luxor said they plan to seal off the office of the governor to prevent Adel el-Khayat from entering.
Source: ABC News
- 22:33 | In the world The Russian and US presidents started their discussion on the sidelines of the G8 summit
The US said last week that it would back the rebel forces because it had “high confidence” that the Syrian government used chemical weapons in the conflict.
- 22:25 | In the world Russia issues warning on Syria as G8 summit begins
UK PM David Cameron said he hoped to find "common ground" but Russia, which has already said it opposes US plans to arm rebels, said on Monday it would not allow a no-fly zone over Syria.
- 22:18 | In the world Greek PM offers to reopen state broadcaster: government source
Greece's prime minister has offered to quickly restart state broadcaster ERT under temporary management in a bid to defuse a political crisis and avoid snaps elections.
- 22:12 | In the world Syria: Where is Britain's national interest?
Every other commentator seems clear about whether to intervene in Syria: for one side, it's a case of straightforward ethics. Details: The Telegraph
- 22:05 | In the world Edward Snowden Guardian Chat: Leaker Defends Decision To Release Documents
Congressional leaders have called Snowden a traitor for revealing once-secret surveillance programs two weeks ago in the Guardian and The Washington Post.
Source: The Huffington Post
- 21:55 | In the world Borussia Dortmund general manager has slammed reports that Robert Lewandowski is heading for a move out of Germany
The highly-rated Pole looked set to follow Mario Goetze and switch to domestic rivals Bayern Munich but his club put the brakes on the move.
Source: The Sun
- 21:50 | In the world North Korea on Sunday called for high-level talks with the U.S.
At the same time country offered no indication it would move to wind down its nuclear-weapons program to initiate dialogue.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
- 21:40 | In the world Europe 'would pay price' for arming rebels: Assad
Syria's President Bashar al-Assad warned on Monday that European powers would "pay the price" if they sent weapons to rebel forces seeking to topple him.
Source: The Times of India
- 21:30 | In the world Saudi Arabia: 4 more deaths from SARS-like virus
Overall, nearly 40 people have died from the virus since September, mostly in Europe and the Middle East.
Source: Associated Press
- 21:24 | In the world Moscow seeks clarification after Egypt cuts Syria ties
Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Monday.
- 21:18 | In the world Venezuelan president seeks canonization for doctor
Nicolas Maduro has asked Pope Francis to canonize a doctor who tended to the poor in Caracas and is considered a saint already by many Venezuelans.
Source: ABC News
- 21:12 | In the world Stuart Hall jailed for 15 months for sex assaults
The disgraced former BBC presenter Stuart Hall has been jailed for 15 months for a 20-year reign of sexual abuse against young girls.
Source: The Telegraph
- 21:05 | In the world Protests to give new turn to Egypt revolution
Millions more are ready to defend Egypt's first freely elected leader.
- 21:00 | In the world Turkish government says it may use army to end protests
The government would use "all its powers" and the armed forces if necessary, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said on state-run television.
- 19:59 | Armenia FIDE Women’s Grand Prix was held in Dilijan
FIDE Women’s Grand Prix is going to be held in Dilijan, on June 16-28, 2013.
Source: Armenian Chess Federation reports
- 19:55 | Armenia 6th Memorial of Olympic Champion Karen Asrian was held in Jermuk
The 6th Memorial of Olympic Champion Karen Asrian was held on 16th June in Jermuk, Armenia.
Source: Armenian Chess Federation
- 19:53 | Armenia Tigran L. Petrosian has scored 5 points out of 7
Tigran L. Petrosian has scored 5 points out of 7 at the 2nd Grand Europe Open that is being held in the Golden Sands Resort, Bulgaria.
Source: Armenian Chess Federation
- 19:48 | Region Bako Sahakyan meets Arman Mkrtoumyan
On 17 June Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan received the delegation of the Republic of Armenia Court of Appeals headed by the chairman Arman Mkrtoumyan.
Source: NKR president's press office
- 19:44 | Armenia Bako Sahakyan sent congratulatory address to newly elected President of Iran
On 17 June President Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory address to the newly elected President of the Islamic Republic of Iran Hassan Rohani.
Source: NKR President's press office
- 19:38 | Region Disposition of newly elected president of Iran on Syrian crises
The Syrian conflict should be resolved by the participation of Syrian people.
- 16:37 | Armenia Ishkhan Zakaryan refuses to answer any questions
The head of the Control Chamber Ishkhan Zakaryan refuses to answer the questions of the journalists.
- 16:27 | In the world World leaders are gathering in Northern Ireland for a G8 summit
World leaders are gathering in Northern Ireland for a G8 summit set to be dominated by the conflict in Syria.
- 14:27 | In the world British man survives a fall from the 15th floor in New Zealand
A British man has survived a fall from the 15th floor of a building in New Zealand, local media report.
- 14:14 | Armenia With Orange, only good surprises: Orange offers 65 AMD/min rate in several countries for incoming calls in roaming
Starting from June 15 and until September 15, Orange offers 65 AMD/min rate for incoming calls when roaming in Georgia, Italy, France, Spain and Turkey. In these countries, Orange Zone special tariff – 250 AMD – is applied for other roaming services such as outgoing calls, SMS and GPRS.
- 13:57 | Region New earthquake recorded in Tavush region
Today in the early morning at 05:08 released a notice that on June 17 at 04:48am in the region of Azerbaijan – Georgia borderline an earthquake with 3.5 magnitudes has been recorded.
- 12:50 | Armenia RA FM is to visit Spain
Today, the RA Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian is to visit Spain at the invitation of foreign minister of Spain, José Manuel García-Margallo.
Source: MFA press service
- 12:39 | Armenia UWC Diijan will be a world class school
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Manfred Schepers said that Dilijan International School (DIS) “will be a world class school”.
- 12:37 | Armenia Weather in Armenia on June 17
Transitory rains and thunderstorm is possible after midday and evening in the Northern part of Armenia and Ararat valley on the 17th of June.
- 12:30 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan sent a congratulatory message to Hassan Rouhani
President Serzh Sargsyan sent a congratulatory message to Hassan Rouhani on his victory in the June 14, 2013 elections and his election to the high and responsible position of the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Source: RA president's press office
- 16:26 | In the world Five soldiers have been killed in clashes in Benghazi
Five soldiers have been killed in clashes between Libyan special forces and armed protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi.
- 16:14 | Armenia Armenian Chess Players in Golden Sands
GM Tigran L. Petrosian and 15-year-old David Paravyan have scored 4 points each out of 5 at the 2nd Grand Europe Open that is being held in the Golden Sands Resort.
Source: rmenian Chess Federation
- 16:11 | In the world White House will use G8 summit to intervene in Syria
The White House will use next week's G8 summit to seek international support for further intervention in Syria that may go beyond the limited military assistance announced on Thursday night, in an attempt to force the Assad regime and its Russian allies into meaningful peace talks.
- 16:02 | In the world Bomb kills 11 in Pakistan
A bomb tore through a bus of female university students in southwestern Pakistan Saturday, killing 11, officials said. As family and friends gathered at the hospital another blast went off, followed by a flurry of bullets that sent bystanders running for cover.
- 15:58 | In the world Woman was beaten to death in Aligarh
A woman was beaten to death after a row with neighbours over her daughter's western clothing turned into a riot, the tydicea.news reports.
- 15:32 | Armenia Armenian trilateral delegation leaves for Geneva
The trilateral delegation headed by Artem Asatryan, Minister of Labor and Social Issues will attend the 102nd session of the International Labor Conference which is to be held on 17-18 June.
Source: Ministry of Labor and Social Issues
- 14:38 | Region Preliminary results of presidential elections in Iran ready: Hassan Rohani is leading
The preliminary results of the presidential elections in Iran have been published by the Ministry of Interior Affairs of Iran. The results have been received from several states.
- 14:15 | Armenia Asbarez: Ancestors of Prince William are Armenians
DNA test showed that the Ancestors of Prince William have been Armenians and Indians.
- 12:14 | Armenia Agricultural products market at Yerevan’s center
Fair of agricultural products is being organized in Aram street, next the Malibu café for the second time.
- 11:25 | Armenia New candidate for position of Syunik governor
“Chorrord Ishkhanutyun” paper has touched upon the issue of resignation of Surik Khachatryan, Syunik’s governor, as well as acting governor Ara Dolunts.
Source: Chorrord Ishkhanutyun
- 10:32 | In the world Hassan Rohani may take victory in presidential election in Iran
Moderate Iranian cleric Hassan Rohani looked to be heading towards an outright victory over his conservative rivals in the presidential election, initial results showed on Saturday.
- 10:18 | In the world Venezuelan authorities end house arrest of judge
The Venezuelan authorities have ended the house arrest of a judge held on corruption charges since 2009.
- 09:37 | In the world Facebook and Microsoft reveal data requests
Facebook says US requests related to 18,000 to 19,000 user accounts and covered criminal and national security issues.
- 09:06 | Armenia Weather in Armenia on 15th of June will be hot and sunny
It will be mostly sunny on the 14th and 15th of June almost in the whole territory.
- 22:30 | Region Turkey government freezes Gezi Park project
Turkey's government has agreed to suspend redevelopment plans for a park in Istanbul until a court rules on the issue.
- 22:15 | In the world Manuel Pellegrini has been appointed Manchester City boss on a three-year deal
The club today announced the Chilean, 59, will take over from Roberto Mancini at the Etihad Stadium after leaving Malaga.
Source: The Sun
- 22:06 | In the world Erdoğan offers to suspend Gezi Park redevelopment pending court case
In what appeared to be a calculated political move to step back from the violent confrontations that have left five dead and more than 5,000 injured since protests erupted in Turkey.
Source: The Guardian
On June 13 the Armenian and Russian Foreign Ministries held consultations at the Armenian Foreign Ministry on cooperation in the Council of Europe, the RA MFA press service reports. At the meeting headed by the head of the European Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Armen Liloyan and the head of the European Cooperation Department of Russian Foreign Ministry Ivan Saltanovski touched upon the results of the 123rd session of the Council of Europe's Committee of ...
George Aghjayan for the Armenian Weekly I recently returned from my fourth trip to Western Armenia in the last 18 months. These journeys are emotionally draining. I am not sure I could make these trips alone; it is critical to have good people, good friends, with you. Fortunately, that was the case for me again this time. There are several reasons for subjecting myself to the difficult experience. Some are easier to put in words than others—like visiting my grandparents’ ...
Turkey reacted angrily to the Vatican following a statement from Pope Francis describing the mass killings of Armenians during World War I as “the first genocide of the twentieth century” during a meeting with a delegation led by Patriarch of Cilicia of Armenian Catholics on June 3. “The Turkish Foreign Ministry delivered Turkey’s views on the issue and expressed disappointment to the embassy in Ankara and Vatican in Rome,” a Turkish diplomat told the ...
Chris Bohjalian for The Washington Post A woman I met last month in southwestern Turkey is going to die, probably sometime soon. Asiya’s death will not be covered by any news service, and for all but a few people in her small village of Chunkush, she will not be missed. Even the relatives who love her will probably think to themselves, well, she was 98 years old. Or 99. Or, if she survives until 2015, somewhere in the neighborhood of a century. She will have lived a long life. ...
As world-renowned opera star from Spain soprano Montserrat Caballe performed Groung by Komitas at the Gandzasar monastery in the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, she was being declared persona non grata by Baku for her visit to Artsakh, Asbarez.com reported. The Azerbaijani Embassy in Spain announced to journalists on June 6 that a special note had been sent to the Spanish Foreign Ministry demanding an explanations. Caballé described Artsakh as a “cradle of Christianity.” ...
By Armen Israyelyan, Iranian studies expert Large-scale protests have been raging in Turkish cities for about one week. According to reports of Western media, about 2,000 people have been detained during the protests, dozens have been injured in clashes with police, and three people have been killed. Tehran has neutral position on Turkey events. Iran believes that this is the domestic issue of Turkey. Following the detention of an Iranian citizen during a protest in Ankara, an ...
“Girls can also enter military educational institutions of Armenia this year,” Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan wrote on his official Facebook page. “The Defense Ministry keeps implementing the policy of consistent reforms and innovations aimed at raising the fighting efficiency of the Armed Forces, strengthening public confidence, etc. As we announced earlier, girls can also enter military educational institutions this year. Further details will be ...
Heritage spokesman Hovsep Khurshudyan is unaware of party leader Raffi Hovannisian’s future plans. He told Panorama.am that he has not met with Hovannisian lately. “I suppose there will be rallies and other public events,” Khurshudyan said. He found it difficult to mention any time schedule. Related: Raffi Hovannisian back in Yerevan from Washington
Pope Francis, during a meeting Monday with a delegation led by Nerses Bedros XIX, Catholicos Patriarch of Cilicia of the Armenian Catholics at the Vatican reiterated his earlier recognition of the Armenian Genocide, Asbarez.com reported. During the visit, the pope met with members of the delegation, when one of them said that she was a descendant of Genocide victims, to which the pontiff responded: “The first genocide of the 20th Century was that of the Armenians,” thus ...
Russia has deployed in Armenia state-of-the-art ballistic missiles capable of striking targets more than 400 kilometers away, Asbarez.com reported, citing a source in the Armenian Defense Ministry. Speaking on the condition anonymity, the source told RFE/RL’s Armenian service (Azatutyun.am) over the weekend that several Iskander-M systems are currently stationed at undisclosed locations in the country. The source declined to clarify whether they were delivered to the Armenian armed ...