- 13:40 | Armenia Sharp price increases expected in Armenia
Prices of some goods, including essential goods such as sugar, vegetable oil and chicken meat, will go up sharply in Armenia following its entry into the Customs Union.
- 13:07 | Armenia Galust Sahakyan discloses secret of authorities
“RPA will resign from power after the Karabakh issue is resolved and when Armenia begins to develop,” Sahakyan said.
- 12:38 | Armenia Convict on hunger strike for 32 days
30-year-old Artak Karapetyan, who is serving a 15-year prison term in Artik prison for beating to death an ambulance doctor in Gyumri, is still on hunger strike.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 12:02 | Armenia Georgian parliament speaker to visit Armenia
He will meet with Armenian parliament speaker Hovik Abrahamyan as part of his visit.
- 11:38 | Armenia ANC accuses Zurabyan of supporting gays
Brawls constantly break out between Levon Zurabyan and Armenian National Congress (ANC) young activists following the December 10 march.
- 10:55 | Armenia Civilitas Foundation is expanding
The Civilitas Foundation, whose creation is linked to the name of Vartan Oskanian, is not as active as before following the money laundering case.
- 09:15 | In the world Nicolas Sarkozy announces that his return to politics is destiny
Recently Nicolas Sarkozy has announced that he is going to return to politics to compete with Francois Hollande for the Presidency in 2017.
Source: Voice of Russia
- 09:14 | In the world US gives aid to Syrian opposition of quarter billion dollars
According to the State Department, the amount of the US aid to the Syrian opposition is about 260 million dollars.
Source: Voice of Russia
- 09:08 | In the world North Korea says leader's uncle was executed
An uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has been executed for trying to overthrow the government.
- 09:02 | In the world American who went missing in Iran worked for CIA
A former FBI agent who went missing in Iran was working for the CIA there, not conducting private business as officials have previously claimed.
- 08:55 | In the world EU failing Syria refugees, says Amnesty International report
Only 10 member states have offered to take in refugees and even then only 12,000, it complains.
- 08:48 | In the world Yemen wedding hit by deadly air strike
At least 13 people have been killed by an air strike on a wedding convoy in southern Yemen.
- 22:00 | In the world Bangladesh hangs Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah
Bangladesh has executed the Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, convicted of atrocities in the 1971 war of independence with Pakistan.
- 21:45 | In the world Mass killings largely ignored in 2 Nigerian states, rights group says
Horrific ethnic and religious violence resulting in "mass murder" and other abuses in two central Nigerian states has largely gone ignored by the authorities, rights group Human Rights Watch said Thursday.
- 21:39 | In the world Indian court releases Nokia factory seized in Tax Dispute
Despite the court's move, inclusion of the high-volume factory in the $7 billion sale of Nokia's global handset business to Microsoft Corp.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
- 21:30 | In the world Syrian refugees facing extreme hardship as blizzards hit region
Aid agencies warn of threat to families living in flimsy tents as worst winter storm for decades batters Middle East.
Source: The Guardian
- 21:22 | In the world Mandela's body lies in state for second day
Mandela's casket was in the amphitheater at the Union Buildings, the seat of government where Mandela was inaugurated as the country's first black and democratically elected president in 1994.
Source: Associated Press
- 21:15 | In the world Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants Didier Drogba reunion
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho wants to be paired with former Blues striker Didier Drogba's Galatasaray in the last 16 of the Champions League on Monday.
- 21:07 | In the world Silvio Berlusconi threatens 'revolution' if he is jailed
Silvio Berlusconi says he is not afraid but says it will be difficult to put him in jail in Italy.
Source: The Telegraph
- 21:00 | In the world Blast near U.S. embassy in Kabul was accident, Afghan official says
An accidental detonation of explosives stored in an Afghan facility beside the U.S. embassy in Kabul sparked a brief panic early on Thursday, triggering concerns of an attack, but no immediate reports of casualties.
- 19:03 | Region European Parliament called on Azerbaijan to reconsider its decision on withdrawal from ‘‘Euronest’’ parliamentary assembly
European Parliament urges the Azerbaijani parliament to reconsider its decision to freeze participation in the EURONEST parliamentary assembly.
Source: European Parliament
- 19:00 | In the world Putin invites Kiev to work with Customs Union at expert level
If Ukraine wants to take part in projects that Russia is carrying out with Belarus and Kazakhstan as part of the Customs Union, it is welcome to send expert-level delegations, the Russian president said Thursday.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 18:49 | Region Tajik intellectuals demand UNESCO register Polo as Tajik and Armenian game as well
Tajikistan has appealed to UNESCO for registering Polo as an Azerbaijani sport game.Source: IRNA
- 18:37 | Armenia Nalbandian meets with Davutoglu in Yerevan; statement expected later today
The sides declined to answer media questions following the meeting
- 17:41 | In the world Former Thai PM charged with murder
Former Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been formally charged with murder in connection with a crackdown on demonstrators in 2010.
- 17:09 | Region Skirmishes took place in Sumgait between Wahhabis and Azerbaijani security forces: some people were injured
The skirmishes between armed groups and the police took place in Azerbaijani town Sumgait.
- 17:07 | Armenia Poghosyan: Armenia’s reforms should not be conditioned by reforms in CU member states
The Heritage MP said that all institutions, including those involved in talks with the EU, should participate in negotiations with the Customs Union because they may propose good models to the Customs Union.
- 15:59 | Armenia Vayk-Saravan-Sisian road impassable due to snowstorm
Selim mountain pass, Ijevan-Noyemberyan, Sisian-Goris, Gavar-Martuni and Artik-Alagyaz roads are barely passable.
Source: Transport Ministry
- 15:42 | Armenia Temperatures to drop further
Occasional snow is expected in Yerevan on December 12-13, no precipitations are expected on December 14-16.
- 14:14 | Armenia Nalbandian to meet with Davutoglu
Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian will meet with heads of delegations of BSEC member states today in Yerevan, including with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
- 14:13 | Armenia Armenian parliament adopts 2014 budget
The Armenian National Assembly held a special session today, during which the 2014 draft budget was passed.
- 13:00 | Armenia Turkish FM Davutoglu enters Armenia Marriott Hotel from back entrance
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu entered Armenia Marriott Hotel in Yerevan through the back entrance as the youth organizations of ARFD and Social Democrat Hunchakian Party are staging a protest against his visit near the hotel.
- 12:59 | Armenia Orinats Yerkir interested in money
Despite the fact that the poverty level is at 32.5% in Armenia, Orinats Yerkir Party thinks it important to get money from the government for itself.
- 12:19 | Armenia Russian language courses to be organized for parliament staff
A Russian library and an Armenian-Russian friendship club opened in the parliament in early December.
- 12:16 | Region Life in Baku behind Potemkin’s village facade: Ruins, poverty, disappointment
“The centre of Baku looks nice from a window of a car, it is full of lights and beautiful buildings, while in a five minute drive from the centre one encounters completely different life; ruins, poverty, disappointment.”
- 11:53 | Armenia Yerevan Mayor to defend Ph.D. thesis
Taron Margaryan has graduated from the Armenian National Agrarian University and is an honorable member of the Armenian Agricultural Academy, but he decided to write a thesis in the area of economics.
- 11:01 | Armenia John Kerry to visit Armenia
In a sign of warm Armenian-American bilateral relations, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will visit Armenia next year.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 09:21 | In the world US Senator Lamar Alexander aide held on child porn charge
Jesse Ryan Loskarn was taken into custody by US Postal Inspection Service officials in Washington DC for possession and distribution of the unspecified illicit material.
- 09:16 | In the world Hunt for mysterious interpreter who faked sign language at Mandela memorial
South Africa is searching for a sign language interpreter who failed to translate what world leaders said at the memorial of anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.
- 09:09 | In the world Leaders, rock stars farewell Mandela
In near silence, dozens of family members passed by as military honor guards dressed in white flanked the coffin on each end.
- 09:02 | In the world Turkey shuts border to Syria
The announcement came shortly after the United States and Britain suspended non-lethal aid to the Syrian opposition.
- 08:57 | In the world Syrian refugees in Lebanon hit by winter storm
The UN says it is "extremely concerned" for Syrian refugees in Lebanon as a fierce winter storm bears down.
- 08:51 | In the world Ukraine violence: US considers sanctions
The US state department has said it is considering all options, including sanctions, towards Ukraine as the political crisis there continues.
- 20:31 | Region Iranian embassy in Baku calls on Azerbaijani MPs to learn lessons from Saddam Hussein’s destiny
The Iranian embassy in Baku has criticized the anti-Iranian expression of the Azerbaijani MP.
- 19:58 | Region Head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million and of having offshore accounts
The head of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million.
- 18:15 | Armenia Armenian chess players to participate in European Championships
GMs Gabriel Sargissian, Tigran L. Petrosian, Zaven Andriasian, Karen Grigoryan and several other Armenian chess players will participate in the European Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships on December 13-15, 2013 in Warsaw.
- 17:50 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan will not meet with Turkish FM Davutoglu in Yerevan
Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan is not scheduled to meet with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Yerevan, Armenian President’s spokesman Arman Saghatelyan has said on Twitter.
- 17:31 | Region Davutoglu: Turkey has always attached great importance to normalization of ties with Armenia
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says that Ankara is ready to take any action that would lead to the establishment of a steady peace in the South Caucasus.
Source: Haber Aktuel
- 17:01 | Armenia Armenian Prosecutor General ready to open criminal case based on Ombudsman’s report
Armenian Prosecutor General Gevorg Kostanyan has responded to Armenian Ombudsman Karen Andreasyan’s special report on the right to a fair judicial inquiry.
Source: Prosecutor General’s Office
- 16:07 | Armenia Snowstorm expected in Armenia
Snow is expected in Armenia this evening as well as on December 12 and 13, wind up to 15-20 mph is possible in spots, snowstorm is expected, most roads will be icy, with low visibility.
- 15:48 | Armenia Latvian Ambassador presents credentials to Armenian President
The President congratulated Ambassador Gavele on her appointment, wished success and expressed hope that during her tenure in office she will do her best to use her professional abilities and experience to further relations between Armenia and Latvia.
Source: presidential press service
- 14:13 | Armenia ‘Only international recognition of NKR could sober up Azerbaijan’
Giro Manoyan says that in addition to the negotiations, we should work in two directions simultaneously: try to fix the situation and secure international recognition of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.
- 13:35 | Armenia Manoyan has no expectations from Davutoglu’s visit
“I have no expectations from Davutoglu’s Yerevan visit because this is not a visit to Yerevan, but rather a participation in a meeting taking place in Yerevan,” Giro Manoyan told reporters.
- 12:43 | Armenia Snow expected today in Yerevan
Snow is expected in most regions of Armenia on December 11, 12, 13 and 14.
- 10:35 | Armenia Doctors do not recommend Gorik Hakobyan to travel by plane
In all probability, the National Security Officers Day will be celebrated on December 20 without Armenian National Security Service head Gorik Hakobyan.
00:02 02/03/2008 » Politics
EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES IN ARMENIA
On 1 March the president of the Republic of Armenia Robert Kocharyan announced extraordinary circumstances in Armenia. The information is provided by the press and public relations department of the president’s administration.
In order to prevent the threats of the constitutional order and to protect citizens’ rights and legal interests, leading by the RA Constitution articles 55/14 and 117/6 a decision is made:
1. to announce extraordinary circumstances in Yerevan for 20 days on 1 March 2008
2. to announce the RA president as the body of regulating and directing the problem salvation duties
3. to hand the responsibilities of providing the peace and regulation steps to the police of the RA and the Defense Ministry of RA
4. to announce extraordinary circumstances in the announced territories with the following time limits:
1) to prohibit conducting meetings, gatherings, manifestations, public demonstrations,
2) to prohibit any activities limiting organizations’ labor duties,
3) to give legal bodies rights, if needed, to stop and check transport means,
4) mass media is allowed to publish state and local news in the line with information provided by the state bodies
5) to prohibit carrying out political campaign by spreading booklets without having permission from appropriate state bodies,
6) to block activities of political parties and NGO-s which could prevent from carrying out the announced extraordinary circumstances in the capital,
7) to oust people from the territories where they prevent from carrying out the extraordinary circumstances on their own means or on state budget with the terms that they should be paid back,
5. to command the Government of the RA to take and carry out necessary measures to assure the bringing out of the current order,
6. The current order comes into force after it is announced.
In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the editor by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
13:47 13/12/2013 » Topic of the day
The Earth could have been struck by many more huge earthquakes in its recent history than was previously thought, scientists say, according to the BBC. Research suggests that half of all quakes measuring more than 8.5 in magnitude that hit in the 19th Century are missing from records. Scientists are scanning historical documents for the lost tremors. The findings are presented at the American Geophysical Union Fall meeting in San Francisco. Dr Susan Hough from the US Geological ...
13:37 13/12/2013 » Economy
Prices of some goods, including essential goods such as sugar, vegetable oil and chicken meat, will go up sharply in Armenia following its entry into the Customs Union, Zhoghovurd reports. Armenia’s Economy Minister, Vahram Avanesyan, confirmed this information to Zhoghovurd. “Yes, it is a possible scenario and expected damage,” he said, adding that the benefits of joining the Customs Union will exceed the expected damage. The Minister also said that it is impossible ...
13:03 13/12/2013 » Daily press
Deputy chairman of Republican Party of Armenia, head of RPA parliamentary faction Galust Sahakyan disclosed the secret of authorities to Zhoghovurd daily, saying when the ruling party intends to resign from power. “RPA will resign from power after the Karabakh issue is resolved and when Armenia begins to develop,” Sahakyan said. When asked when that day would be, he replied, “You need to wait for another 50 years…”