- 11:43 | Armenia Injured servicemen recovering
Artsrun Hovhannisyan noted that four have been discharged from hospital and three still remain hospitalized.
- 11:41 | Armenia Who will head Sevan hospital?
The first round of contest for the post, which has been vacant for a year, took place on August 20.
- 09:53 | In the world Bus crash in Egypt kills 30 people
One of the buses involved in the incident was carrying tourists, who were on a vacation in the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:46 | In the world Tsarnaev friend pleads guilty
As part of the plea agreement, a sentence of seven years will be recommended by the U.S. attorney.
- 09:41 | In the world 3 senior Hamas military leaders killed in Israeli airstrike on Gaza
The three members of the Brigades' 15-member military council were killed in a bombing in Rafah in southern Gaza, according to Hamas.
- 09:36 | In the world Japan landslide: Death toll rises to 39 in Hiroshima
The number of people missing has jumped to 51, officials say, after police cross-checked information with fire crews.
- 09:32 | In the world MH17: Plane with Malaysian bodies arrives in Kuala Lumpur
A small contingent of Malaysian soldiers marched up to the plane to escort the coffins as they are being unloaded.
- 09:25 | In the world Islamic State militants pose 'biggest threat' to US
Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said US air strikes had helped to break the Islamist advance in Iraq, but the militants could be expected to regroup.
- 16:53 | Armenia Open skies policy boosts passenger flow
In May-July 2014, passenger flow via Zvartnots and Shirak airports made 632,000 passengers against 469,000 passengers in the same period of last year, marking a 34.6% increase.
- 15:35 | Armenia Georgian PM visits Tsitsernakaberd
Georgian Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili has arrived in Yerevan for an official visit at the invitation of Armenian Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamyan.
- 15:12 | In the world Karabakh official: Baku involved Iraqi authorities in its intrigues
“Official Baku manipulates Karabakh’s friendly gesture of accepting the friendly Yazidi people in its territory, also involving the Iraqi authorities in its intrigues,” said spokesperson of the NKR President David Babayan.
- 11:42 | Region 40 ceasefire violations reported on Aug. 20-21
Azerbaijan violated the ceasefire about 40 times on Karabakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact on August 20-21, with over 400 shots fired at Karabakh frontline positions.
Source: NKR Defense Ministry
- 09:56 | In the world UN humanitarian chief to visit Ukraine
United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Valerie Amos, is expected to visit Ukraine later this week.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:52 | In the world ISAF service member killed in Afghanistan stabbing
A coalition service member died Wednesday after being stabbed in the neck -- allegedly by a Taliban member -- near the international airport in Afghanistan's capital.
- 09:49 | In the world Malaysian couple charged with alleged theft from MH370 passengers
Malaysian police have charged two people over the alleged theft of around $35,000 (110,600 Malaysian ringgits) from the bank accounts of four passengers on missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
- 09:43 | In the world Marina Silva chosen to run for president in Brazil
Ms Silva replaces the late Eduardo Campos, who was killed in a plane crash last week.
- 09:40 | In the world Thailand coup General Prayuth Chan-ocha named PM
Gen Prayuth, 60, was nominated on Thursday in a legislature hand-picked by the junta and made up of mostly military and police figures.
- 09:35 | In the world US military tried but failed to free Foley
A US secret military mission had tried but failed to free US reporter James Foley and other American hostages in Syria, US officials said.
- 14:41 | Armenia Melkumyan: Government should create favorable conditions for investments in border villages
“The four non-government parliamentary forces plan to submit to the government a draft envisaging privileges to the population of Armenia’s border villages,” Prosperous Armenia faction member Mikael Melkumyan told reporters.
- 11:57 | Armenia Deputy governor of Kotayk dismissed
Deputy governor of Kotayk province Albert Ghazaryan was relieved of his post yesterday by a decision of Armenian Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamyan and at the suggestion of Kotayk governor Aram Harutyunyan.
- 11:33 | Armenia Azerbaijan will cede another 7 regions in case of war, Suren Khachatryan says
“It is Azerbaijanis that should worry because if something happens they will cede another seven regions,” former governor of Syunik province said.
- 11:08 | Armenia Yerevan TV to be renamed Third Armenian TV Channel
Orinats Yerkir Party leader Arthur Baghdasaryan has moved Yerevan TV to the head office of the party.
- 11:08 | Armenia Samvel Alexanyan’s company to get license to export psychotropic drugs
It is noteworthy that the government granted a similar license to the company in August 2011, but it was terminated last year for unknown reasons.
- 09:59 | In the world At least 6 dead, 22 missing in Hiroshima landslide
Video footage from the national broadcaster NHK showed suburban homes in the western Japanese city surrounded by streams of mud and debris, and residents picking their way over piles of rocks and dirt.
- 09:58 | In the world China's latest bus fire kills 1, injures 19
A public bus in eastern China caught fire Wednesday in what was likely arson, killing one person and injuring 19 others.
- 09:45 | In the world UN warns of alarming humanitarian situation in Central African Republic
Four weeks before the UN is scheduled to take over the peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic, the organization reports continued sectarian violence all across the country.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:43 | In the world Ebola crisis: Liberia orders curfew and quarantine
Liberia already imposed a state of emergency earlier this month, but the number of deaths from the disease has continued to climb.
- 09:38 | In the world Gaza conflict: 'Nine Palestinians killed' as truce ends
Israel said about 50 rockets were launched from Gaza on Tuesday, but there were no injuries reported.
- 09:31 | In the world Islamist militants 'kill reporter James Foley on video'
The militants said the killing was revenge for US air strikes against the Islamic State group in Iraq.
- 16:03 | Armenia Hayrikyan prepared to start hunger strike
Leader of National Self-Determination Union Paruyr Hayrikyan plans to start a hunger strike on September 8 demanding that the “Armenian authorities get sober, assess the situation correctly and take correct steps to come out of the current situation.”
- 13:38 | Armenia Three soldiers still in hospital after being wounded in Azerbaijani commando raids
“Their condition has stabilized, but they need a long treatment; their life is out of danger,” said Armenian Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan.
- 12:11 | Armenia Armenian PM unable to decide whom to choose as spokesman
Sources claim this time head of the Public Relations Department of National Assembly Gohar Poghosyan got the nod.
- 11:19 | Armenia Signature campaign in support of Vardan Petrosyan
Organizers plan to expand the campaign to Armenian provinces, beginning with the city of Gyumri.
- 09:58 | In the world Venezuelan government steps down amid reshuffle
Venezuelan government resigned on Monday to allow the nation’s President Nicolas Maduro to reshuffle the cabinet.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:53 | In the world Poroshenko, Merkel discuss further steps to defuse tensions in east Ukraine
On Monday, Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said the German chancellor was due in Ukraine on Saturday, ahead of the Independence Day on August 24.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:47 | In the world India calls off Pakistan talks over separatist meetings
Kashmiri separatist leaders on Monday slammed New Delhi's decision to call off talks with Pakistan, scheduled for August 25 in Islamabad.
- 09:42 | In the world Jackie Chan's son Jaycee in drug arrest
Jaycee Chan, 31, and Taiwanese movie star Kai Ko, 23, were detained last Thursday, Beijing police said in a statement on their official microblog.
- 09:32 | In the world Gaza conflict: ceasefire 'extended by a day’
The Gaza ceasefire has been extended for a further 24 hours after talks in Cairo, according to Palestinian and Israeli officials.
- 09:32 | In the world Ferguson unrest: White House steps up involvement
Eric Holder will go to the town on Wednesday to meet officials in charge of a federal investigation into the killing of Michael Brown on 9 August.
- 17:18 | Armenia Temperatures to rise by 1-2 degrees
Precipitation is not expected in Armenia on August 18-21; there will be southwest winds of 5-10 meters per second.
Source: Hydrometeorology and Monitoring State Service
- 14:16 | Armenia Heffern: If sanctions harm Armenia, you can complain to Moscow
“The sanctions are aimed against Russia, not Armenia, but they can affect Armenia’s economy,” said the U.S. Ambassador to Armenia.
- 12:02 | Armenia Seyran Ohanyan: We will do everything to restrain encroachments by enemy
Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan has hailed the performance of Armenian tankmen at the Tank Biathlon 2014 international competition.
- 09:58 | In the world Nepal flood toll hits 101, fears of disease rise
Jhanka Nath Dhakal of Nepal's National Emergency Operation Center said four helicopters with food, emergency supplies, medicine and medical workers were sent to villages in the west of the country.
- 09:49 | In the world Ebola facility in Liberia attacked; patients flee
Ebola patients fled during an attack at a health care facility in Monrovia, Liberia, on Saturday, according to Liberian National Police spokesman Sam Collins.
- 09:45 | In the world Strong earthquake hits Iran near border with Iraq
The 6.2-magnitude quake hit at a depth of around 10 kilometers (6 miles), in an area 36 kilometers southeast of the Iranian city of Abdanan.
- 09:41 | In the world Pope Francis urges inter-Korean reconciliation
"Let us pray for the emergence of new opportunities for dialogue, encounter and the resolution of differences," he said.
- 09:36 | In the world Obama: Air strikes on Iraq dam 'to protect US interests'
The failure of Mosul dam may put US staff and facilities, including the US embassy in Baghdad, at risk, Barack Obama warned Congress in a letter.
- 09:31 | In the world Overnight curfew resumes in tense St Louis suburb
Police have fired tear gas and issued warnings for crowds to disperse as a curfew starts for a second night in Ferguson in the US state of Missouri.
- 16:54 | Armenia Azerbaijan’s propaganda produced no results, expert says
“Azerbaijan’s propaganda presenting Armenia as a side that was a winner on the battlefield but on the whole lost the war does not produce any results,” political scientist Hrant Melik-Shahnazaryan told reporters.
- 14:11 | Region 450 ceasefire violations reported on Aug. 10-16
Over 4,500 shots were fired at Karabakh frontline positions from guns of different calibers.
Source: NKR Defense Ministry
- 13:51 | In the world Blasts hit Armenian-populated district of Aleppo
Two homemade rockets were fired at the Armenian-populated district yesterday at noon.
Source: Gandzasar Weekly
- 12:48 | Armenia Dean of Economics University’s Finance Faculty suffers car crash
He was transported to Grigor Lusavorich Medical Center with a craniocerebral injury.
- 12:06 | Armenia Tigran Sargsyan cannot ‘bid farewell’ to Armenia
Tigran Sargsyan is living an active life in Armenia, attending weddings and birthday parties.
- 09:49 | In the world Police: Chemicals in tea due to earlier mix-up
On Sunday, a worker took large quantities of the substance thought to be sugar and poured it into the iced-tea dispenser.
- 09:40 | In the world Putin, Merkel discuss ways to de-escalate situation in Ukraine
Putin also informed Merkel of the ongoing cooperation between Russia and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on their efforts to provide humanitarian aid to the civilian population of eastern Ukraine.
Source: RIA Novosti
13:24 22/08/2014 » Politics
12:35 22/08/2014 » Society
10:12 22/08/2014 » In the world
13:24 22/08/2014 » Politics
Permanent Representative of Armenia to UN, Ambassador Zohrab Mnatsakanyan said that Armenia fully supports the agreement reached in Kazan in 2011, Mediamax reports. He said this during the discussions of “Use of System-Wide Approach to Conflict Prevention” resolution at UN Security Council. The Ambassador stressed the importance of prevention of a resumption of conflict in situations when the final resolution remained pending. “In the past weeks, an alarming ...
12:41 22/08/2014 » Society
A new special offer from Orange is now available for users of internet monthly subscriptions. Till the 30th of September customers subscribing to Orange Internet services for 12 months will receive 5GB high speed internet monthly and will be offered 21.6Mb/s Internet Now modem for 1 AMD at only 5000 AMD monthly fee. After consuming high speed bundle inclusions, customers can use unlimited internet with up to 512Kb/s speed, the press service of Orange Armenia reported. “Orange ...
12:35 22/08/2014 » Society
“Azerbaijan violated the ceasefire over 48 times on the Line of Contact with Armenia on August 17-22. Over 300 shots were fired at Armenian frontline positions from weapons of different calibers,” the Armenian Defense Ministry said in a statement. “The frontline units of Armenian armed forces observed the ceasefire and took retaliatory measures only in cases of extreme necessity. “The ceasefire violations by Azerbaijan once again demonstrate that the leadership ...
12:10 22/08/2014 » Society
So far, there have been no reports about Armenians or Armenian citizens killed or injured in the bus crash in Egypt on Friday, Armenian Foreign Ministry spokesman Tigran Balayan told Panorama.am. 33 people were killed Friday morning in a collision of two buses in the south of the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt. One of the buses involved in the incident was carrying tourists, who were on a vacation in the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. The accident took place about 30 miles away from the resort. ...
11:53 22/08/2014 » Society
A spokesman for Armenian Defense Ministry has told Zhamanak that the Armenian servicemen injured in the recent border incidents are recovering. Artsrun Hovhannisyan noted that four have been discharged from hospital and three still remain hospitalized. They are currently in satisfactory condition.
11:39 22/08/2014 » Society
The hospital of Sevan will at last have a director, Hraparak writes. The first round of contest for the post, which has been vacant for a year, took place on August 20. Aram Nikoghosyan, Varuzhan Manukyan and Aghvan Karapetyan were the winning candidates in the first round. They all headed the hospital in different times. It is not clear, however, whom the governor of Gegharkunik province will appoint to that position, the newspaper adds.
11:15 22/08/2014 » Politics
Press TV has conducted an interview with Hafsa Kara-Mustapha , a journalist & political analyst, in London, about ISIL retaliating against US airstrikes by beheading a captured American journalist. Press TV: We are looking at this decapitation, but let’s go back a couple of years when the US and some of the regional countries were involved in backing some of these terrorist groups. Plenty of warnings coming that they should have been thinking about days like this. Of ...
11:06 22/08/2014 » Politics
There is no talk about value of human lives in the war with ISIS, there is only geopolitics, and nobody in the West thinks about helping Christians or arming the Iraqi army, German journalist Manuel Ochsenreiter told RT . In order to fight against the Islamic State in a successful way the West needs to sanction and punish all those powers that are supporting the Islamic State, namely Turkey and the Gulf states, Ochsenreiter believes. Also, it is necessary to help and arm armies that ...
10:57 22/08/2014 » Topic of the day
Azerbaijan violated the ceasefire about 240 times on Karabakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact on August 17-22, with over 1,900 shots fired at Karabakh frontline positions from guns of different calibers, Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Ministry reports. Armenian forces observed the ceasefire and took response measures only in cases of extreme necessity.
10:40 22/08/2014 » Politics
“France is deeply shocked by the death of Armenian citizen Karen Petrosyan killed in captivity in Azerbaijan on August 8,” French Foreign Ministry spokesman Romain Nadal said in a statement. “France offers its condolences to Karen Petrosyan’s family. We call on the Azerbaijani authorities to return his body immediately and to shed light on the circumstances of his death,” the statement said.
10:19 22/08/2014 » Topic of the day
The hiatus in the rise in global temperatures could last for another 10 years, according to new research. Scientists have struggled to explain the so-called pause that began in 1999, despite ever increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, the BBC reports. The latest theory says that a naturally occurring 30-year cycle in the Atlantic Ocean is behind the slowdown. The researchers says this slow-moving current could continue to divert heat into the deep seas for another decade. ...
10:18 22/08/2014 » Society
According to the updated information, at least 30 people were killed Friday morning in a collision of two buses in the south of the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt, Reuters and Egyptian MENA reported, according to RIA Novosti. One of the buses involved in the incident was carrying tourists, who were on a vacation in the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. The accident took place about 30 miles away from the resort. Reuters reported that there were citizens of Russia, Saudi Arabia and Yemen among more ...
10:15 22/08/2014 » Law
A friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded guilty Thursday to charges in connection with removing a backpack and computer from Tsarnaev's dorm room after the bombing, CNN reported. Dias Kadyrbayev pleaded guilty to "obstructing justice with the intent to impede the Boston Marathon bombing investigation," according to a press release from the office of the U.S. attorney for Massachusetts. He also pleaded guilty to conspiracy with his actions in the ...
10:12 22/08/2014 » Society
An Israeli airstrike on a house in Gaza overnight killed three high-ranking members of Hamas' military wing, the Qassam Brigades, the militant group said Thursday. Seven civilians were also killed, CNN reported. The three members of the Brigades' 15-member military council were killed in a bombing in Rafah in southern Gaza, according to Hamas. The announcement of their deaths comes the day after Hamas said an Israeli strike had killed the wife and at least two children of Mohammed ...