- 15:42 | Armenia Temperatures to drop further
Occasional snow is expected in Yerevan on December 12-13, no precipitations are expected on December 14-16.
- 14:14 | Armenia Nalbandian to meet with Davutoglu
Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian will meet with heads of delegations of BSEC member states today in Yerevan, including with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
- 14:13 | Armenia Armenian parliament adopts 2014 budget
The Armenian National Assembly held a special session today, during which the 2014 draft budget was passed.
- 13:00 | Armenia Turkish FM Davutoglu enters Armenia Marriott Hotel from back entrance
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu entered Armenia Marriott Hotel in Yerevan through the back entrance as the youth organizations of ARFD and Social Democrat Hunchakian Party are staging a protest against his visit near the hotel.
- 12:59 | Armenia Orinats Yerkir interested in money
Despite the fact that the poverty level is at 32.5% in Armenia, Orinats Yerkir Party thinks it important to get money from the government for itself.
- 12:19 | Armenia Russian language courses to be organized for parliament staff
A Russian library and an Armenian-Russian friendship club opened in the parliament in early December.
- 12:16 | Region Life in Baku behind Potemkin’s village facade: Ruins, poverty, disappointment
“The centre of Baku looks nice from a window of a car, it is full of lights and beautiful buildings, while in a five minute drive from the centre one encounters completely different life; ruins, poverty, disappointment.”
- 11:53 | Armenia Yerevan Mayor to defend Ph.D. thesis
Taron Margaryan has graduated from the Armenian National Agrarian University and is an honorable member of the Armenian Agricultural Academy, but he decided to write a thesis in the area of economics.
- 11:01 | Armenia John Kerry to visit Armenia
In a sign of warm Armenian-American bilateral relations, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will visit Armenia next year.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 09:21 | In the world US Senator Lamar Alexander aide held on child porn charge
Jesse Ryan Loskarn was taken into custody by US Postal Inspection Service officials in Washington DC for possession and distribution of the unspecified illicit material.
- 09:16 | In the world Hunt for mysterious interpreter who faked sign language at Mandela memorial
South Africa is searching for a sign language interpreter who failed to translate what world leaders said at the memorial of anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.
- 09:09 | In the world Leaders, rock stars farewell Mandela
In near silence, dozens of family members passed by as military honor guards dressed in white flanked the coffin on each end.
- 09:02 | In the world Turkey shuts border to Syria
The announcement came shortly after the United States and Britain suspended non-lethal aid to the Syrian opposition.
- 08:57 | In the world Syrian refugees in Lebanon hit by winter storm
The UN says it is "extremely concerned" for Syrian refugees in Lebanon as a fierce winter storm bears down.
- 08:51 | In the world Ukraine violence: US considers sanctions
The US state department has said it is considering all options, including sanctions, towards Ukraine as the political crisis there continues.
- 20:31 | Region Iranian embassy in Baku calls on Azerbaijani MPs to learn lessons from Saddam Hussein’s destiny
The Iranian embassy in Baku has criticized the anti-Iranian expression of the Azerbaijani MP.
- 19:58 | Region Head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million and of having offshore accounts
The head of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million.
- 18:15 | Armenia Armenian chess players to participate in European Championships
GMs Gabriel Sargissian, Tigran L. Petrosian, Zaven Andriasian, Karen Grigoryan and several other Armenian chess players will participate in the European Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships on December 13-15, 2013 in Warsaw.
- 17:50 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan will not meet with Turkish FM Davutoglu in Yerevan
Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan is not scheduled to meet with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Yerevan, Armenian President’s spokesman Arman Saghatelyan has said on Twitter.
- 17:31 | Region Davutoglu: Turkey has always attached great importance to normalization of ties with Armenia
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says that Ankara is ready to take any action that would lead to the establishment of a steady peace in the South Caucasus.
Source: Haber Aktuel
- 17:01 | Armenia Armenian Prosecutor General ready to open criminal case based on Ombudsman’s report
Armenian Prosecutor General Gevorg Kostanyan has responded to Armenian Ombudsman Karen Andreasyan’s special report on the right to a fair judicial inquiry.
Source: Prosecutor General’s Office
- 16:07 | Armenia Snowstorm expected in Armenia
Snow is expected in Armenia this evening as well as on December 12 and 13, wind up to 15-20 mph is possible in spots, snowstorm is expected, most roads will be icy, with low visibility.
- 15:48 | Armenia Latvian Ambassador presents credentials to Armenian President
The President congratulated Ambassador Gavele on her appointment, wished success and expressed hope that during her tenure in office she will do her best to use her professional abilities and experience to further relations between Armenia and Latvia.
Source: presidential press service
- 14:13 | Armenia ‘Only international recognition of NKR could sober up Azerbaijan’
Giro Manoyan says that in addition to the negotiations, we should work in two directions simultaneously: try to fix the situation and secure international recognition of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.
- 13:35 | Armenia Manoyan has no expectations from Davutoglu’s visit
“I have no expectations from Davutoglu’s Yerevan visit because this is not a visit to Yerevan, but rather a participation in a meeting taking place in Yerevan,” Giro Manoyan told reporters.
- 12:43 | Armenia Snow expected today in Yerevan
Snow is expected in most regions of Armenia on December 11, 12, 13 and 14.
- 10:35 | Armenia Doctors do not recommend Gorik Hakobyan to travel by plane
In all probability, the National Security Officers Day will be celebrated on December 20 without Armenian National Security Service head Gorik Hakobyan.
- 10:33 | Armenia General Manvel will return
Manvel Grigoryan is in France, undergoing treatment; he will return to Armenia by December 20.
- 09:10 | In the world Belarusian, Kazakh leaders most trusted of post-Soviet leaders – poll
The leader of Russia was not included in the poll carried out by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center, or VTsIOM.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:03 | In the world Lost Nevada family of 6 warmed rocks by fire to survive snow for two days
A family of six survived two days in wintry Nevada mountains by starting a fire and then bringing warm rocks into their overturned Jeep, preventing frostbite to the couple and four small children.
- 08:55 | In the world 15 dead after fire tears through market in Shenzhen, China
Fifteen people have been killed and five others injured in a fire early Wednesday at a market in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
- 08:51 | In the world French troops in Central African Republic 'to avoid carnage’
President Francois Hollande has defended France's military intervention in the Central African Republic - after two French soldiers were killed in the capital Bangui.
- 08:44 | In the world Mandela's body to lie in state at Union Buildings
Each morning his remains will be transported across the city in a glass casket.
- 21:00 | In the world Israel, others urged to join chemical arms treaty
Israel, Egypt and North Korea should renounce chemical weapons, especially after Syria joined the convention banning them and three other nations plan to do so, the chief of an international watchdog said on Tuesday.
- 20:43 | In the world Pakistani doctor wins $1M to fight child deaths
A Pakistani doctor won a $1 million grant Tuesday to fight early child mortality in a small fishing village in southern Pakistan in a contest financed by an American entrepreneur to find innovative ways to save lives, The Caplow Children's Prize said.
Source: ABC News
- 20:35 | In the world Chemical weapons inspectors in Syria claim Nobel Peace Prize
A group of chemical weapons inspectors are taking the world closer to peace in the middle of a raging war they cannot stop. For their work in Syria and elsewhere, they received the Nobel Peace Prize Tuesday in Norway.
- 20:28 | In the world UN to fly aid supplies to Syria from Iraq
Up to 12 flights will carry food and winter supplies to Syria's mostly Kurdish north-east as cold weather sets in.
Source: The Guardian
- 20:20 | In the world First gay weddings in UK in time for Easter
First same-sex weddings in UK will be on March 29 next year, Coalition announces as Culture Secretary says historic switch is "just another step" in evolution of marriage.
Source: The Telegraph
- 20:13 | In the world World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
U.S. President Barack Obama exhorted the world Tuesday to embrace Nelson Mandela's universal message of peace and justice, electrifying tens of thousands of rain-lashed spectators and prompting a standing ovation by scores of heads of state in a South African stadium.
Source: Associated Press
- 20:06 | In the world General Motors names Mary Barra as new boss
She replaces Daniel Akerson, and is the first woman to run a US carmaker.
- 20:00 | In the world Suicide bomber kills 11 at Shi'ite funeral in Iraq
The bombing took place in Baquba, 65 km (40 miles) from of the capital at a funeral for a group of Shi'ite shepherds who had been killed by unidentified gunmen outside the city.
- 19:35 | Region Iranian president's Special Assistant: Ottoman Turkey is condemned in extermination of millions of Armenians
“Ottoman Turkey is condemned in extermination of millions of Armenians,” has stated the Iranian president's Special Assistant in Ethnic and Minority Affairs Ali Younesi.
- 19:16 | Region Human Rights Club: there is widespread and systematic human rights violation in Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan marks International Human Rights Day, with 142 political prisoners, and they must be released, the statement of the Human Rights Club read, issued on the occasion of World Human Rights Day.
- 19:05 | Region U.S.OSCE MG co-chairman James Warlick on requirements in reaching progress in Karabakh conflict settlement
Recent talks between the presidents in Vienna and the foreign ministers in Kyiv have shown that the sides genuinely want to move beyond the current stalemate, concerning the Karabakh conflict.
- 18:32 | Region European Commissioner Füle: Azerbaijan has a lot to do in areas such as human rights and corruption eradication
EU calls on Azerbaijan to respect its international commitments in regard of fundamental freedoms and human rights, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle said at the Cooperation Council between Azerbaijan and the European Union in Brussels.
Source: European Commission
- 18:29 | Region Because of ‘‘Eurovision’’, a chief editor is sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
In Baku Court of Grave Crimes the trial over Nijat Aliyev, the editor-in-chief of the site Azadheber.org, and 9 others who are accused of illegal possession of drugs and weapons, inciting inter-relegious strife, calling for the seizure of power and distribution of religious banned literature, has finished.
- 18:25 | Region Global Witness has shed light on dark transactions of SOCAR
Azerbaijan Anonymous, a new report released today by Global Witness, reveals a shadowy figure in the oil industry of Azerbaijan, a key EU energy supplier.
- 16:56 | Region Davutoglu’s Yerevan visit may be prelude for normalization talks
Officials in Ankara have cautioned against high expectations for Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s upcoming visit to estranged neighbor Armenia, but indicated that there was a chance for “normalization” to follow in the future.
Source: Hurriyet Daily News
- 14:48 | Armenia Levon Aronian to participate in World Mind Games
Armenian GM Levon Aronian will participate in the rapid, blitz and basque system chess tournaments as part of the World Mind Games on December 12-18, 2013 in Beijing, China.
- 09:12 | In the world Russia in talks on moving chemical weapons from Syria - Deputy FM
Mikhail Bogdanov said that Moscow was examining possible options with the United States and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:07 | In the world Pentagon under fire over Russian helicopters – report
The United States has bought dozens of Russian military transport helicopters for use in Afghanistan in the past two years, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, arguing that Afghan forces are more familiar with the aircraft.
- 09:01 | In the world Ukraine opposition office raided as President Viktor Yanukovych backs talks
Protesters in Ukraine remained defiant and continued their mass demonstration against President Viktor Yanukovych over the country's U-turn away from the European Union Monday, the same day masked men raided the headquarters of the opposition party Monday.
- 08:55 | In the world Testimony: Hundreds still on board as captain left Costa Concordia
In phone calls played in court, Schettino said from a life boat that only a dozen people were still on board the ship, when the coast guard had reported hundreds.
- 08:50 | In the world Central African Republic violence: US to fly in peacekeepers
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered US forces "to begin transporting forces from Burundi to the Central African Republic," his spokesman said in a statement.
- 08:43 | In the world Brazilian ex-president 'murdered'
An investigative commission in Brazil says it has found evidence that the ex-president Juscelino Kubitschek was murdered by the 1970s military regime.
14:12 12/12/2013 » Politics
13:42 12/12/2013 » Politics
11:15 12/12/2013 » Society
16:00 12/12/2013 » Society
It was snowing heavily all across the country as of 14:30 today, the Armenian Transport Ministry said. Selim mountain pass, Ijevan-Noyemberyan, Sisian-Goris, Gavar-Martuni and Artik-Alagyaz roads are barely passable. Vayk-Saravan-Sisian road is impassable due to a snowstorm and low visibility.
15:39 12/12/2013 » Society
Snow is expected in Armenia on December 12-13. Winds up to 15-20 meters per second are expected, roads will be icy, low visibility and snowstorms are possible, Armstatehydromet Service said. No precipitations are expected on December 15-16. Temperatures will drop by 2-4 degrees on the night of December 15. Occasional snow is expected in Yerevan on December 12-13, no precipitations are expected on December 14-16. Today, daytime temperatures will be -2, night temperatures -6. ...
15:18 12/12/2013 » Politics
During the daily press briefing, among other issues, U.S. Department of State spokesperson Jen Psaki spoke about Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s visit to Armenia. “Well, we welcome his planned trip and hope his visit will provide an opportunity for dialogue between regional leaders. We continue to urge both Turkey and Armenia to ratify the normalization protocols and to pursue tangible steps, such as opening the border, that can help strengthen ties between ...
14:52 12/12/2013 » Comments
By Adam Chandler, Tablet Magazine Upon learning of the death of the iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan offered these condolences, which were reportedly sent via telegram(!) to South Africa: “I am very sad for Mandela’s death. Things that Mandela did laid a great mark not only to the people living in South Africa but on the whole world. The honorable struggle for his people will always be remembered in respect for ...
14:42 12/12/2013 » Society
A powerful explosion in the Afghan capital, Kabul, was an accident at an arms depot, the BBC reported, citing Afghan officials. Kabul's police chief said a rocket had detonated by accident inside the Afghan National Directorate of Security and there were no casualties. The interior ministry told the BBC it was not an act of terror. The International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) confirmed a blast took place around 10:20 (05:50 GMT) close to Nato headquarters in the city. On ...
14:26 12/12/2013 » Society
The sign language interpreter accused of using fake hand signals at Nelson Mandela's memorial has said he suffered a schizophrenic episode, the BBC reported. Thamsanqa Jantjie, 34, told South African media he "started hearing voices" and began hallucinating. Deaf viewers at Tuesday's memorial service complained he was a fraud. Mr Mandela died last week at the age of 95 and will be buried on Sunday. His body is lying in state in Pretoria, with thousands queuing to ...
14:12 12/12/2013 » Politics
Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian will meet with heads of delegations of BSEC member states today in Yerevan, including with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, Nalbandian told reporters after the meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) member states. Nalbandian reiterated Armenia’s position that Armenian-Turkish relations can be normalized without preconditions, adding that Turkey’s ...
13:42 12/12/2013 » Politics
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu entered Armenia Marriott Hotel in Yerevan through the back entrance as the youth organizations of ARFD and Social Democrat Hunchakian Party are staging a protest against his visit near the hotel. “They should always enter and leave through the back entrance as long as Turkey does not recognize the Armenian Genocide. They fear us, they fear to face their history. Shame on Turkey!” said Gerasim Vardanyan, board chairman of the ...
12:54 12/12/2013 » Society
Despite the fact that the poverty level is at 32.5% in Armenia, Orinats Yerkir Party thinks it important to get money from the government for itself, Zhoghovurd daily says. The newspaper notes that Orinats Yerkir parliamentary faction proposed to allocate “additional resources from the 2014 budget to increase the financing of parties.” “The Armenian government did not turn down the request and “about AMD 75.5 million will be allocated for parties from the 2014 ...
12:16 12/12/2013 » Society
Armenia’s National Assembly is swiftly moving towards the Customs Union, Hraparak writes. Russian language courses will be organized for the parliament staff soon. A Russian library and an Armenian-Russian friendship club opened in the parliament in early December. It is noteworthy that a few months ago, when Armenia was moving towards an EU Association Agreement, English language courses were organized in the National Assembly. However, the initiative remained on paper, the ...
12:14 12/12/2013 » Society
“The centre of Baku looks nice from a window of a car, it is full of lights and beautiful buildings, while in a five minute drive from the centre one encounters completely different life; ruins, poverty, disappointment”, states the article “Baku; life as in Bangladesh, façade as in Dubai” published in “Haqqin.az” Azerbaijani portal. The author notes that tourists coming to Azerbaijan want to have fun not to get upset, that is why they ...
11:49 12/12/2013 » Society
Citing its sources, Hraparak daily writes that Yerevan Mayor Taron Margaryan plans to defend a Ph.D. thesis. The discussion of the thesis will take place on December 26 in the hall of the State University of Economics. Taron Margaryan has graduated from the Armenian National Agrarian University and is an honorable member of the Armenian Agricultural Academy, but he decided to write a thesis in the area of economics, on the subject “The Key Problems of Socioeconomic ...
11:15 12/12/2013 » Society
Young members of Social Democrat Hunchakian Party (SDHP) and ARFD have staged a protest near Armenia Marriott Hotel in Yerevan, which is hosting the 29th meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) member states. Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is also attending the meeting. The protesters are chanting, “Recognition” and “Compensation” and demand that Davutoglu leave Armenia.
10:56 12/12/2013 » Politics
In a sign of warm Armenian-American bilateral relations, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will visit Armenia next year. He made the promise to Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan and Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian, U.S. Ambassador to Armenia John Heffern told Haykakan Zhamanak daily. Mr Heffern also said that currently, more than ever before, the United States wishes to boost and enhance Armenian-American partnership.
10:35 12/12/2013 » Culture
Armenian Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan met with world famous violinist and conductor Pinchas Zukerman, who is in Yerevan to participate in the closing concert of the 14th Yerevan Perspectives International Music Festival, the Armenian government’s press service said. The celebrity artist will act as both conductor and soloist to perform Camerata Salzburg with the orchestra. The distinguished guest thanked the PM and the Armenian Ministry of Culture for support and ...