- 15:34 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan meets with President of European Civil Aviation Conference
President Sargsyan said Armenia appreciates the role of the European Civil Aviation Conference in developing and providing security to global and European aviation.
Source: presidential press service
- 15:10 | Armenia Armen Martirosyan: Russia punishes Armenia by increasing gas price
“Under such social conditions, the increase in gas price may cause social riot,” said the deputy chairman of Heritage party.
- 14:33 | Armenia Armenian parliament to host hearings on measures to eliminate hailstorm consequences
On May 23, the Armenian government approved measures to eliminate consequences of the May 12 hailstorm that caused damage to 46 communities in Armavir province.
- 14:12 | Armenia Levon Zurabyan: Authorities concealed information about increase in gas price
“On May 13, the Public Services Regulatory Commission received a bid on the increase in price for natural gas, with a contract stipulating that the new gas price entered into force on April 1,” the ANC member said.
- 12:50 | In the world Magnitude 8.2 earthquake strikes Russian Far East
The epicentre of the quake was located at a depth of 385 miles in the Sea of Okhotsk, 244 miles west of the nearest city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
- 12:40 | Armenia Worsening social situation contributes to emigration, Orinats Yerkir MP says
“The people in Armenia live in tough social conditions, and the increase in gas price and hail damage added to it,” Hovhannes Margaryan said.
- 12:14 | Armenia Social riot is brewing in Armenia, says Heritage MP
With the crisis deepening, it is inevitable that there will be a social riot and a revolution in Armenia, head of Heritage parliamentary faction Ruben Hakobyan told a parliamentary briefing.
- 11:11 | Armenia Republican MP against government program?
Although RPA voted for the government program, Republican MP Nahapet Gevorgyan, despite registering for the parliament session, did not participate in the voting.
- 10:12 | Armenia Governors of Kotayk, Syunik and Tavush to be dismissed in mid-June
Those to be dismissed include Kotayk governor Kovalenko Shahgaldyan, Syunik governor Suren Khachatryan and Tavush governor Armen Ghularyan.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 09:48 | Armenia Pan-Homenetmen Games to take place in Armenia
This year, the 9th Pan Homenetmen Games will be held in Yerevan, from July 27 to August 3.
- 09:12 | In the world Second jewel theft strikes Cannes film festival
A necklace reportedly worth 1.9m euros (£1.6m) has been stolen during the Cannes film festival, in the second such theft to hit this year's event.
- 09:04 | In the world Syrian opposition scrambles to save credibility ahead of peace talks
The Syrian opposition in exile met on Thursday to decide whether to attend a peace conference that the United States and Russia see as a crucial path to ending two years of civil war.
- 09:00 | In the world 5.7-magnitude earthquake shakes Northern California
There have been eight aftershocks ranging from 2.6-to-3.5-magnitude.
- 08:55 | In the world Bridge collapses in Washington state
An Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River in Washington has collapsed, a spokesman for the Washington State Patrol said.
- 08:50 | In the world UK names soldier killed in London
The soldier killed in an attack in London has been named as Drummer Lee Rigby of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- 08:47 | In the world Barack Obama defends 'just war' using drones
President Barack Obama has defended the use of drones in a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants and a campaign that had made America safer.
- 08:41 | Armenia Air temperature will go up
It will be partly cloudy after midday, but no precipitation is expected yet.
- 22:53 | Region The Times: Story about loss of votes given for Russia at Eurovision puts Azerbaijan in very awkward situation
The foreign ministers of Russia and Azerbaijan have temporarily postponed the "less urgent problems - like, the question of the border war between Azerbaijan and Armenia smoldering for "22-years," and have stressed that they will try to work together to resolve the crisis that had occurred during the "Eurovision," the British newspaper Times writes.
Source: The Times
- 22:00 | In the world UK Police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of british soldier in London
Source: ABC news
- 21:50 | In the world Boy Scouts of America set to vote on gay youth ban
The vote by more than 1,400 delegates comes amid intense lobbying by gay-rights activists and members of conservative organizations.
- 21:35 | In the world Uefa: New drug-testing plans and 10-match bans for racism
Uefa will retrospectively study 900 doping samples given since 2008 as it attempts to combat use of performance-enhancing drugs in European football.
- 21:28 | In the world UK emergency committee meets after Muslim terrorists hack soldier to death
Prime Minister David Cameron says there are strong indications it was an act of terrorism.
Source: Fox News
- 21:20 | Armenia The sale by Russia of S-300 air defense systems to Syria would be “destabilizing” for the region
US Secretary State John Kerry said on Thursday.
- 21:17 | Region Amnesty International: Azerbaijani authorities continue to intimidate and arrest those who criticize government
The Azerbaijani government continues to intimidate and imprison people and groups who criticizes the government.
Source: Amnesty International
- 21:10 | In the world Appellate Court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
A Milan appeals court has explained why it upheld Silvia Berlusconi's tax fraud conviction, saying the politician illegally purchased the rights to broadcast U.S. movies on his private TV network.
Source: ABC news
- 21:03 | In the world Gunmen kill seven Iraqi soldiers in worsening conflict
More than 300 people have been killed in violence over the past week.
- 20:55 | In the world Britain’s Cameron: London attack ‘will only . . . make us stronger’
A day after two alleged Islamic extremists brutally killed a British soldier, Prime Minister vowed that his nation would not succumb to fear and promised a vigorous investigation.
Source: The Washington Post
- 20:45 | In the world Bangladesh factory collapse probe uncovers abuses
The report said the building had been constructed with sub-standard materials on unsuitable land.
- 20:40 | Region Azerbaijan can be deprived of the right to participate in ‘‘Eurovision’’ song contest for three years
Azerbaijani “ITV” channel which broadcast the "Eurovision-2013" can either be deprived of participating in the song contest for three years or can be fined for false transfer of the vote count, the lawyer of the Russian law firm "UST" Denis Shumsky says, the RIA Novosti reports.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 20:37 | In the world European stock markets post heavy losses after Nikkei plunges 7%
It will take a few minutes for the closing auction in London to be concluded.
Details: The Guardian
- 20:30 | In the world 80 year-old-man climbs Everest, breaks record
Yuichiro Miura reached the summit of Mount Everest around noon Japan time on Thursday, becoming the oldest person ever to do so.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
- 20:24 | In the world UN chief visits Goma, Congo
Ban Ki-moon stressed that security must go hand-in-hand with development in the troubled eastern city of Goma on Thursday.
Source: ABC news
- 20:18 | In the world New Parliament to be built in central Moscow – Kremlin
The project was put on hold, however, due to the financial crisis.
- 20:12 | In the world London attackers known to British security services
Two British men of Nigerian descent accused of hacking a soldier to death on a London street in revenge for wars in Muslim countries were known to security services.
- 20:05 | In the world Niger suicide bombers target Areva mine and barracks
A bomb at a barracks in Agadez killed at least 19, including 18 soldiers, officials told the BBC. Four attackers died and a fifth is holding four army officers hostage.
- 20:00 | In the world World's most expensive sheepdog sells for £10,000
A sheepdog trainer has bounded into the record books once again after his latest talent sold for nearly £10,000 - making him the most expensive in the world.
Source: The Daily Mail
- 18:59 | In the world Higuain to join Juventus this summer
Madrid want €25m though Antonio Conte's side have only gone as high of €20m as of Wednesday.
- 18:37 | Armenia Gagik Makaryan: SMEs and common citizens will be most affected by gas price increase
“If the gas price goes up, even a normal family will have to pay AMD 90,000 for gas in winter season,” said the chairman of Republican Union of Employers of Armenia.
- 17:55 | In the world FC Barcelona to visit Israel and Palestine
FC Barcelona will host two football clinics in the Middle East this August. The first will be in the Palestinian Territories on August 3 and the second will be in Israel on August 4.
- 17:06 | Armenia Narek Galstyan: I see nothing extraordinary about Lavrov’s statement
“Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s statement only concerned his position on Madrid Principles,” political scientist Narek Galstyan said.
- 16:02 | Armenia Manuel Petrosyan wins Armenian Regional Championship
Armenian Regional Championship, which was the qualification phase of the 74th Armenian Championship, was held in Jermuk.
- 15:28 | Region Chechnya's honorary consul assassinated in Turkey
Medet Ünlü was shot multiple times at the consulate building in Ankara's Balgat neighborhood and died at the scene.
Source: Today's Zaman
- 15:10 | Armenia Tigran Sargsyan: Armenian government is willing to cooperate with all political forces
“If opposition presents its vision of the future, then our duty is to take from it what we think is right for our country,” the Armenian PM told reporters.
- 14:35 | Armenia PSRC representative: Gas price to be set at AMD 156 per cubic meter
Currently the price per cubic meter of gas is AMD 132.
- 14:05 | In the world Congresswoman Judy Chu: We have a duty to remind the world that mass murder and destruction must not be ignored
Rep. Chu cosponsored H. Res. 227 calling for the recognition of the Armenian Genocide.
- 13:27 | Region OSCE Mission monitors Line of Contact in Fizuli direction
No violation of the ceasefire regime was registered.
Source: NKR MFA
- 13:16 | Armenia Armenian parliament approves government program
The Armenian National Assembly, by a vote of 76 for and 41 against, approved the program of Armenian government for 2013-17.
- 12:54 | Region Zardusht Alizadeh: Azerbaijani people should take up arms and fight for their rights
“Law, justice and God mean nothing for the Azerbaijani authorities. Money is their God,” said the Azerbaijani analyst.
- 12:00 | Armenia Duration of unemployment benefit payment to be reduced to 3 years
As a result, the unemployed will not receive AMD 3bn aid.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 11:25 | Armenia New resignations expected in Armenia
Several resignations are expected following approval of the government program for 2013-17.
- 10:49 | In the world Armenian intellectual kidnapped in Aleppo
Armenian writer and intellectual Hakob Mikayelyan was kidnapped by gunmen in the Syrian city of Aleppo on Wednesday, May 22.
- 10:25 | Armenia Hrant Bagratyan refuses to disclose details of his conversation with Prime Minister
“There was no separate meeting with Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan,” he said.
- 09:54 | In the world Congressman Cicilline calls for recognition, apology
U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline in a statement called on Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to formally acknowledge and apologize for the Armenian Genocide.
Source: The Armenian Weekly
- 09:32 | Region Turkish-Armenian writer given jail sentence for blasphemy
An Istanbul court has sentenced a Turkish-Armenian author and blogger to more than a year in prison for insulting the Prophet Mohammad.
- 09:18 | In the world West may boost Syria rebels if Assad won't talk peace
Washington threatened on Wednesday to increase support for Syria's rebels if President Bashar al-Assad refuses to discuss a political end to a civil war that is spreading across borders.
14:30 24/05/2013 » Economy
12:05 24/05/2013 » Politics
09:22 24/05/2013 » Society
15:29 24/05/2013 » Society
President Serzh Sargsyan met with President of European Civil Aviation Conference Catalin Radu on Thursday, presidential press service reported. Welcoming the guest to our country, President Serzh Sargsyan said Armenia appreciates the role of the European Civil Aviation Conference in developing and providing security to global and European aviation. In the words of Serzh Sargsyan, aviation is especially important to our landlocked country, which faces communication bottlenecks with ...
15:15 24/05/2013 » Politics
Member of the New South Wales Legislative Council, Marie Ficarra has condemned a statement released by the Turkish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, which suggests the country will block Australian politicians from visiting Gallipoli for the centenary of ANZAC Day in 2015, Asbarez.com reports. Turkey’s statement was made after both Houses of the NSW Parliament adopted unanimous motions, recognizing the Greek and Assyrian genocides as well as reaffirming the Armenian Genocide. ...
15:06 24/05/2013 » Economy
If we pay for independence with the increase in gas price, then I agree to it. But if we pay with the maintenance of the inefficient government system, then I don’t understand its point, deputy chairman of Heritage party Armen Martirosyan told today’s press conference. According to him, Russia probably punishes Armenia by increasing the gas price. “Under such social conditions, the increase in gas price may cause social riot,” Martirosyan said.
14:30 24/05/2013 » Economy
Today, the Armenian parliament will host hearings on measures to eliminate consequences of recent hailstorm, reported the press service of the Armenian parliament. On May 23, the Armenian government approved measures to eliminate consequences of the May 12 hailstorm that caused damage to 46 communities in Armavir province.
14:04 24/05/2013 » Economy
“We heard sensational information yesterday. The point is that on May 13, the Public Services Regulatory Commission (PSRC) received a bid on the increase in price for natural gas, with a contract stipulating that the new gas price entered into force on April 1," head of Armenian National Congress (ANC) parliamentary faction Levon Zurabyan told a parliamentary briefing today. Levon Zurabyan participated in the discussion on gas price increase on Thursday, May 23. He ...
12:46 24/05/2013 » Society
A magnitude 8.2 earthquake struck off Russia's eastern coast on Friday, briefly prompting a tsunami scare but causing no casualties or substantial damage, Russian emergency authorities said, according to Reuters. The epicentre of the quake was located at a depth of 385 miles (620 km) in the Sea of Okhotsk, 244 miles (390 km) west of the nearest city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quake was felt in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, the main city on the ...
12:37 24/05/2013 » Politics
The lack of hope and belief could make Orinats Yerkir MP Hovhannes Margaryan emigrate from Armenia. “The high rates of emigration from the country are due to the lack of hope and belief,” he told a parliamentary briefing today. The people in Armenia live in tough social conditions, and the increase in gas price and hail damage added to it, Margaryan said. He added that the worsening social situation and the increase in prices contribute to emigration.
12:05 24/05/2013 » Politics
With the crisis deepening, it is inevitable that there will be a social riot and a revolution in Armenia, head of Heritage parliamentary faction Ruben Hakobyan told a parliamentary briefing on Friday. “Social riot remains the only alternative and yes, it is brewing. In various regions, people complain of tough social conditions. In addition to it, the gas price is increasing,” Hakobyan said.
11:39 24/05/2013 » Society
On May 23, Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan held a consultation on the process of establishing disability groups by the Center of Medical and Social Expertise. Heads of concerned structures delivered appropriate reports. In his speech, President Sahakyan noted that since 2008 an extensive and hard work had been done to eliminate violations registered in the process of establishing and specifying disability groups. Bako Sahakyan underlined that the requirements towards ...
11:25 24/05/2013 » Society
On May 23, Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan signed the NKR Criminal Code, laws on Making Amendments to the Criminal Proceedings Code of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, to the Electoral Code of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, and to the Law on Fight against Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism, the Central Information Department at the Artsakh President’s Office reported.
10:54 24/05/2013 » Politics
Although RPA voted for the government program, Republican MP Nahapet Gevorgyan, despite registering for the parliament session, did not participate in the voting, Zhamanak daily says. The paper failed to find out the reason why the MP is against the government program. He did not approach the tribune and did not utter a word during the discussions of the government program.
10:21 24/05/2013 » Politics
The rise of sectarian violence and recent Israeli bombing indicate that the true aim of the Syrian civil war is to weaken Iran’s position in the region, Middle East expert Tariq Ali said in an interview with RT . Tariq Ali believes Hezbollah has joined the fight in order to protect the weapons smuggling routes of their own, those coming from neighboring Iran. As for the Syrian people, Ali says the majority just wants the war in the country to end, no matter which side gets ...
10:05 24/05/2013 » Politics
Haykakan Zhamanak touched upon possible dismissal of several governors. “We had reported earlier that four governors will be dismissed after Yerevan municipal elections. Our sources in RPA say that one of the “blacklisted” governors will be spared. Those to be dismissed include Kotayk governor Kovalenko Shahgaldyan, Syunik governor Suren Khachatryan and Tavush governor Armen Ghularyan. The same sources say that in all probability this will happen in mid-June,” the ...
09:46 24/05/2013 » Society
In a unique recognition of the enduring emotional effects that can remain in a population years after trauma and tragedy, the California Endowment has made a $10,000 grant to help promote spiritual health and well-being in the Armenian Community of Pasadena, California, according to PR Newswire. The grant matches the $10,000 funding already committed by the CFV to support this project. An additional $5,000 has been provided by the Pasadena Community Foundation. Individual donations ...
09:35 24/05/2013 » Society
The Homenetmen Central Executive announced the organization of the 9th Pan Homenetmen Games, Asbarez.com reported. This year, the 9th Pan Homenetmen Games will be held in Yerevan, from July 27 to August 3. This will be the second time that the games will be held in Yerevan. Approximately 600 athletes from around the world will take part in these games. Along with the teams’ coaches, official delegations, as well as the relatives and friends of athletes, with an estimated ...
09:22 24/05/2013 » Society
The European Day of Parks is a commemorative day for protected areas across Europe that was launched in 1999 by the EUROPARC Federation to celebrate protected areas throughout Europe. The European Day of Parks takes place on and around May 24th of each year. It aims at bringing people closer to nature and raising public awareness on the importance of the natural beauty preserved in protected areas and the importance of conservation and sustainable management of those places. This ...
09:10 24/05/2013 » Law
A necklace reportedly worth 1.9m euros (£1.6m) has been stolen during the Cannes film festival, in the second such theft to hit this year's event, BBC reported. The expensive piece by Swiss jeweller De Grisogono vanished after a celebrity party at a five-star hotel in the resort town of Cap d'Antibes. The theft occurred despite "large security measures", including 80 security guards, the jeweller said. Last week, thieves ripped a safe with jewels from the wall ...
09:07 24/05/2013 » Society
A magnitude 5.7 earthquake hit Northern California Thursday night that was felt nearly 150 miles away, but there were no early reports of damage, according t o AP. The temblor struck at 8:47 p.m. and was centered near Greenville, about 25 miles southwest of Susanville in far northeastern California, said Rafael Abreu, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Center in Golden, Colo. Abreu said there were no reports of damage in the early field reports. ...
09:06 24/05/2013 » Politics
The Syrian opposition in exile met on Thursday to decide whether to attend a peace conference that the United States and Russia see as a crucial path to ending two years of civil war, Reuters reported. Under international pressure to swiftly resolve internal divisions, the Syrian National Coalition began talks in Istanbul to elect a coherent leadership and decide on the conference which could take place in Geneva in the coming weeks. Coalition spokesman Khaled Saleh said the 60-member ...